Die staatsdiens-vakbond, Nehawu het ‘n beroep op die vakbondfederasie, Cosatu gedoen om die metaalwerkersvakbond, Numsa uit die federasie te skors as hy nie goeie redes kan verskaf hoekom hy deel van Cosatu moet bly nie.
Numsa moet Vrydag voor Cosatu se nasionale uitvoerende komitee verskyn om redes te verskaf hoekom hy nie geskors moet word nie.
Nehawu sê hoewel hy nie naïef is oor die gevolge daarvan as Numsa uit Cosatu geskors word nie, sal dit deel van die uitdagings wees wat hanteer moet word. Numsa en Cosatu is lank reeds haaks oor verskeie beleidskwessies.
Lees berig van Mail & Guardian in Engels
The dangerous game of political chess in Cosatu continues as metalworkers union Numsa filed an urgent interdict at the South Gauteng High Court to stop the crucial Friday meeting in which they are expected to be expelled.
This was confirmed by Numsa general secretary Irvin Jim in an interview with the Mail & Guardian on Monday.
“The reason why we decided to interdict is that we know Numsa will never get a fair hearing,” he said.
This comes on the backdrop of the National Education, Health, and Allied Workers’ Union (Nehawu) openly declaring war with metalworkers union Numsa, calling for its expulsion.
On Tuesday, Nehawu secretary general Bereng Soke read out a statement that represented the union’s national executive committee’s call for Numsa to be “surgically removed” from Cosatu. This was not the first time Nehawu leaders have made such pronouncements.
Survival at stake
However, the context now is different as Cosatu affiliates are expected to vote on whether they believe Numsa should be expelled from Cosatu this Friday.
“The disorderly and anarchical actions of Numsa have placed the federation in a position where its long term survival is at stake,” Soke said.
Jim reacted saying this reinforces their argument that Numsa would never get a fair hearing at the special Cosatu central executive committee (CEC) meeting. “This is what this gang has been doing all along … it is not new. They want Numsa out,” Jim said.
Jim said they believed the meeting was unlawful and illegal and that is why they approached the courts.
Cosatu President Sdumo Dlamini confirmed to the Mail & Guardian that Cosatu received Numsa’s court papers. “Our lawyers are responding to it … we are opposing it because they have no grounds,” he said.
Dlamini was adamant that the scheduled meeting would go ahead.
Nehawu argued that Cosatu had to now choose between “long-term survival” or the “corrosion of its founding principles”. It is quite simple, the union said – expel Numsa.
“We believe that it is simply unrealistic and untenable for Cosatu to be expected to continue to endure and tolerate a situation where the leadership of Numsa is endlessly allowed to publicly renounced and mobilise against the democratically adopted organisational, ideological and political policies,” Soke said.
At the last special CEC meeting last month, a motion was called for and later abandoned to have Numsa expelled from Cosatu. The matter was then deferred to a meeting scheduled for November 7.